Today I'm featuring my Bird in Nest hanging ornament. I found this pattern while reading through my Nook-edition Cross Stitch Collection magazine, Took awhile to get used to reading my magazines digitally but I'm really getting used to the fact that I don't need to store all of my old magazines anymore!
The finished stitched piece measures approximately 4 x 4 inches and then I mounted it to a 5 x 5 inch piece of wood before adding the white fancy cording. The sage green ribbon I had lying around in my stash and it was not only the perfect color, but the perfect width.
I also found these really great wooden heart hangers at a local shop which I thought would be perfect for hanging this ornament becuase the same red color in the heart is found within the pattern.
I typically don't tend to make ornaments outside of Christmas-time but I'm glad I decided to finish this pattern as a hanging ornament because it makes finishing another one a lot less daunting!
Hey everyone just as a heads up, I need to put a hold on custom orders until May 1. I got a few more in today and I don't want to over-extend myself and make promises I can't keep! For those of you who already placed orders, the timeframe I gave you is still going to be met.
Is it possible to feel overwhelmed and really productive at the same time? This is my table of I-Need-To-Finish projects. Just a little intimidating!
The good news is I have plans for most of these finishes which can sometimes be half the battle - at least for me! To keep me organized in that aspect, I started a little project journal so that I would know exactly what I need to stitch, craft, color and create into whatever it may be. I even had my stitching buddy Cathy from Sleeping Fox Stitchery make me a stitched heart so I can add it to my stitching journal -- which is yet another thing I need to get done this weekend!
Please visit Cathy's shop when you get a chance. She's got some really great stuff in her shop:
The other thing I need to do this weekend is acquaint myself with my brand new Sony Cybershot. I went out and purchased this new camera thanks to one of my paper craft BFFs, Lynn, who is by far the blogger who has made me spend the most money! :)
I cannot believe it's been over a month since I posted last! Before I know it, it will be May and I will be starting my summer crafting -- eek! At least I can say I've been extremely productive. Besides recently re-organizing my studio, I've been able to finish and ship all of my custom orders which is a huge weight off of my shoulder. I had a few too many "big" project requests come in all at once for my liking which kind of stressed me out so I'm glad I can finally start some new stuff now.
One of the main customs I'm glad I'm done with - but happy with the result -- is this 9-compartment tea box I made for one of my fabulous customers, Kathy. I've made a few of these tea boxes now and have even changed up the design a little bit to now include the 9 compartments, but I do have to admit I cringed when she asked for one. They're so much work - and so much stitching.
The box is 9x9x4 and completely handmade with high-quality hinges and closures. I hand-paint it (many, many layers) with a blue-grey paint to pick up the colors in the pattern and then let it dry for a couple days. Then I mount my stitched "Tea Room" fabric to the top and add some cording, again, letting it dry and seal for the next few days. The inside 9x9 compartment fits snugly inside but can be removed for cleaning if desired. It's definitely a process, but well worth it in the end.
I keep telling myself I'm going to make one just for me but it just hasn't happened yet. Maybe someday...!