Pages

Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Sled vs. Sleigh?

Would you believe I actually Googled what the difference between "sled" versus "sleigh" is and I'm still confused? Is there such a difference? I thought I knew the difference, but now I'm not so sure.

This year I finished two similar items into holiday sled/sleighs. The first was what I thought to be a "sled." I stitched a Christmas sampler and mounted it to the front to be used as a holiday decor piece. It has a red ribbon attached and a front that is on hinges to move back and forth, but in my opinion, this piece would look better on a tabletop or resting against a wall or door frame rather than actually hung.



The second piece was what I had considered to be a "sleigh." It's finished with a mounted front, fancy white trim and a red bow. If I had kept it for myself I was thinking of storing pine cones or displaying greeting cards inside.



So which is it? Sled or sleigh? Any takers? :)

Thanks for stopping by!




4 comments:

Carol said...

Oh, how adorable!! (I'm a sled girl myself!!).

Shelly Schmidt said...

Fabulous work! Great Holiday decorations!

Pam in IL said...

I've been thinking about your question -- I WAS thinking that your first pic was a sled (like what we use to go down a big hill) and that a sleigh was horse drawn (like what we see in all the Christmas movies). However, I wonder if it has more to do with where one lives or what it's used for as to what it is called?

By the way, I love the stitching you attached to your sleds/sleighs!

Kimberly Goodman said...

The top photo is a sled for kids to go sledding with and the second one is more sleigh like as sleighs are pulled by horses.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...