Friday, April 12, 2013

Tea Box Finish!

I cannot believe it's been over a month since I posted last! Before I know it, it will be May and I will be starting my summer crafting -- eek! At least I can say I've been extremely productive. Besides recently re-organizing my studio, I've been able to finish and ship all of my custom orders which is a huge weight off of my shoulder. I had a few too many "big" project requests come in all at once for my liking which kind of stressed me out so I'm glad I can finally start some new stuff now.

One of the main customs I'm glad I'm done with - but happy with the result -- is this 9-compartment tea box I made for one of my fabulous customers, Kathy. I've made a few of these tea boxes now and have even changed up the design a little bit to now include the 9 compartments, but I do have to admit I cringed when she asked for one. They're so much work - and so much stitching.




The box is 9x9x4 and completely handmade with high-quality hinges and closures. I hand-paint it (many, many layers) with a blue-grey paint to pick up the colors in the pattern and then let it dry for a couple days. Then I mount my stitched "Tea Room" fabric to the top and add some cording, again, letting it dry and seal for the next few days. The inside 9x9 compartment fits snugly inside but can be removed for cleaning if desired. It's definitely a process, but well worth it in the end.

I keep telling myself I'm going to make one just for me but it just hasn't happened yet. Maybe someday...!

Thanks for stopping by!







     


2 comments:

jimlynn said...

Alissa, so glad to see you pop back in - and especially with this stunner!! WOW! So much work and it's so beautiful!
Lynn

Carol said...

I think that may be your best finish yet, Alissa!! Beautiful piece for Kathy :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...